Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Silence is deafening!

I've not blogged lately because I've just not been able to sort out my thoughts. My oldest daughter moved out and is doing very well. This evening I was walking through the house and the silence was deafening! One moved out, one at college and the youngest, 15, was studying. No noise, no music, not yelling...that might sound like nirvana to most people but after 3 kids and constant motion and sound for 23 years it is a little tough on the ears and senses.

I'm so proud of my daughter but I am struggling with this. It is just part of being a parent, the dichotomy of it all. Wanting to hold them back while needing to push them away.

We were at her new home last night. We had spaghetti and helped her decorate her tree. What a great new tradition! She doesn't have a dining table yet so we all just sat around where we could and ate. Easily one of the best meals I've ever had. I know it was one of the most memorable. My younger daughter did the cooking and it was great! I was quiet most of the evening. I was just listening, soaking up the great time and basking in the glow of utter civility!

I pulled a pack of burgers out of the freezer. 12 big patties in one pack. Time was that with 5 of us that would have been a meal and enough leftovers for some lunch the next day. Now, just 3 of us and we'll eat them for a week! We invited the new home owner but she "had plans" with her buds from work. I remember those days!

I'll eventually get use to the quiet. But I'll never like it and I'll always long for the days and times when they are all here. Christmas will be that time again. Can't wait for that!

1 comment:

  1. Al, your voice will be missed. I sincerely hope you & yours have a warm & wonderful Christmas and a New Year full of Blessings.

    ReplyDelete