Sunday, July 13, 2008

Money and Kids

In my previous (and first) entry I noted that I do not like, believe in or give allowances. Money does not come free and we should not teach children that it does. If they are too young to understand and manage money I see no need to give them any.

So, what do I do? I give them lunch money. In middle school (grades 6-8) we start giving them lunch money to do with as they choose. It is their option to spend it on food, save it or spend it on other things. We provide them healthy food THEY can fix to take for lunch to help them save money.

Why do this? It gives them alternatives, teaches them to make choices and to plan. The kids know if they want a new game they have to save for it. And it has worked very well. We do continue the allowances all year, even when school is out. My son summed it up best: "I buy lunch on only 2 days...Pizza and Hot Dog days. The rest of the days I'd rather carry my lunch since a sandwich and fruit from home is so much better." He can also tell you how long it takes to save for a new xbox game, a controller, etc. Amazing!

We do not tie chores to allowances. That implies they have a choice about chores. More on that in a later posting.

1 comment:

  1. somebody pay for goods or services, they use some form of money. Money can be almost anything too long as everyone agrees on its value. One of the earliest forms of money was metal, such as gold or silver.

    ReplyDelete