Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Simple vs. Complex...

I like things that I use everyday to be simple. I don't want to have to think too much when doing things . They need to be easy to operate, do, interface with and understand. They need to have no more than 2 steps to complete. More than that and you are into the complicated range.

I visit a lot website for work or personal. I'm amazed at how little attention is given to things that can make the experience so much better for the customer/user of the sites. A prime example is entering a phone number. If they have 3 boxes they never auto tab for you. Nope, you have to tab. A very simple programming item but a huge interface item. Or, if there is just one box, no auto hyphens. I've started a revolt by just entering all 10 digits together with out hyphens. I figure if they wanted them they should put them in. I know, it is not a big revolt, but I'm voting with the ballot I have.

Another item that bugs me is asking for city and state when you've already asked for my zip! Duh! Most systems auto check it anyway so go ahead and fill it in. Again, a SMALL programming item with bit interface potential.

American Express Travel services site offers you hotels based on the airport you fly into. They don't allow you to change the city for the hotel! Oh, you can pick another hotel but not as part of the "discount package". What a pain. I have to imagine that many travelers like me fly into one city and drive to another. If they offered this option I'm sure I'd take advantage of it.

Airline sites are another bug of mine. US Airways will select a "best match" based on the criteria you enter for flights. I've yet to see that "best match" be close to what I entered! The price is always higher than others and the time is virtually NEVER close to what I entered. I'm sure they are offering what is best for them, but I don't care about that.

All of these things take time and that is time away from my family. It is also just stupid and careless work. I encourage my kids to do a job and do it the best you can, regardless of what it is. They are the ones that will be using and building these sites one day. I hope they do a better job.

No comments:

Post a Comment