Sunday, March 14, 2010

Travel...

I was out of town last week for several days. No big deal. I've traveled hundreds of times over the years. Yes, things have changed in the last 30 years but somethings haven't. Security is one of the biggest changes. I remember when there was no security, then a little bit, then more and then a lot. I remember when families were at the gate to greet people. Given the congestion I'm glad they are now in baggage claim if they show up at all.

Flight attendant are about the same, except there are more men and the women are regular people. Some older, some younger, some slim and some not slim. I remember when they were all slim and young. I like regular people being there.

Pilots...more women. I like that OK. Glad they're finally getting their due. But pilots in general seem younger. That does not inspire confidence. Captain Sully inspires confidence. Pilots need experience...but with other passengers. Not me.

Planes are both different and the same. Seats are still too close and too small (OK, they seemed bigger years ago but I think that was me more than the seat). Knowing the tricks of travel are more important than ever. Frequent flyer programs are never good. If you get enough miles to get something free it just means you've flown too much and been away from home too much.

Commuter planes are better and worse. You see a lot of small jets now but they are making longer trips. Good and bad.

People still fall into 2 categories. Those that travel for business and are "road warriors" and those that aren't. We that travel get a little annoyed with the delays of those that don't travel much. We shouldn't but we do. I try to help them when possible. I find that people are people even when they travel. Their personal bubble gets very small, but it is still there and still your private space. Most regular travelers don't want to talk unless they know you real well and are a buddy. Otherwise, quiet is the word.

Earphones are the norm. Most people wear them even if they don't care about the music. It prevents others from talking to them. Respect the space is the key.

I can travel for a whole week with a carry-on bag and a briefcase. Amazing what we learn to do.

Luggage is much better now than before, too. Get a good, solid and dependable bag if you travel a lot. You don't want problems and you always want dependability. My favorite brand is Ogio. Incredibly well built, not overly expensive and will last forever.

I came home this week and my 16 year old son came running out when I got home. He gave me a huge hug and told me he missed me. That is better than anything! That is what makes travel bearable. Coming home. Be sure you have that to come back to.

1 comment:

  1. lipocut 120 mg contains orlistat which has a place with a gathering of medication called lipase inhibitors. It is utilized to treat obesity in conjunction with a low-calorie intake diet. It works in your digestive framework to hinder around 33% of the fat in the food you eat from being processed.

    ReplyDelete