Friday, August 29, 2008

Flowers and Kids...Expressing Love

In a previous post I talked about sending flowers to my children on their first day of school. I've done this for all of them since they started kindergarten. It is just one of the ways I express my love for them. Well, I screwed up! I failed to send them to my son on Monday. No excuses, I just screwed up.

I am big on doing something when you think of it and know it needs to be done. I started to order his when I ordered his sister's. I just could not decide what to send him...flowers, candy, both or what. I decided to cipher on it for a couple of days. Well, I went to San Diego on business and wham...no flowers, no candy, nothing. My wife sent me a text asking if I'd done it. I was working a the time and literally had to walk away from a group of people. I had tears in my eyes. I sent some short answers back...no, I forgot, etc. but was devastated. I was afraid my son would think he means less to me than his sisters, which is NOT the case. I care deeply for him and love him more than I can express. To miss this special thing, knowing there was no way to fix it, just devastated me.

I had people coming over to ask me if everything was OK, what was wrong, etc. I could not tell them, I just did not know what to say or do. I sent a text to my wife letting her know how I felt and wham! my son calls me. What a great kid! He told me it was not big deal, he knew I loved him and that just to be sure there were some Milky Ways in the basket and all would be fine. He got his basket the next day and it had Milky Ways.

There are a lot of memories to take from this...feeling so low and alone, being so far from the ones you love, not being able to hold them and let them know you are sorry, feeling like you failed someone you love....but the memory I value most is how my son told me he loved me and that he knew I loved him and was important to him!

There is a box of Milky Ways coming to him! He deserves them. He showed me, once again, what love is and how to express it!

1 comment:

  1. The gardenia flower is a symbol of purity and sweetness and it is associated with the pure and loving nature of children. Send it to people who just welcomed a new member into the family also it is perfect for events such as a baby shower.

    ReplyDelete