Friday, August 22, 2008

Kids, text, email and game consoles


I was on the road yesterday. Flew to a meeting for the day. Long day but good and worth the effort. But this is not about that. My college daughter emailed or text messaged me off and on all day. It was a great thing and we chatted during the meeting, before and after and even after I landed at home. I sent her this picture of NY from the airport.

My point here is that for her, this is all normal. Keeping in touch, wherever someone is, is expected. She does the same with her friends, boy friend and her family. I like it because it is a connection I have to her and we share what is doing on.

Someone said they were worried about kids spending so much time on xbox/ps2/etc. They did not think it was good for them. I used to agree until I watched my son. He plays on line (he has and Xbox 360) with people from all over the world as well as his friends across town. To him the world is small and he thinks it is normal to play with kids from Tennessee, England and even Japan. He thinks nothing of it as they talk, on line, to each other.

To him, a cell phone is normal and just an extension of himself. He can not imagine anyone not having one. I'm glad because being able to just hear his voice sometime is all I need.

1 comment:

  1. Text messages are used for personal, family, business, and social purposes. Governmental and non-governmental organizations use text messaging for communication between colleagues. the sending of short informal messages became an accepted part of many cultures, as happened earlier with emailing.

    ReplyDelete