Thursday, August 14, 2008

Love and expression...


Expressing love is so important. Saying the words...I Love You can not be replaced with actions, with deeds or anything else. They are critical, fundamental and essential.


Flipping that coin over...deeds, actions and other expressions are very critical. Saying I Love You with out showing it, expressing it and demonstrating it means you just don't mean it.


The Bible tells us that when it comes to Christians we will know them by their fruits. We are saved by grace alone but we are known by our fruits. Love is the same way.


I bring this up because something came up and my wife wrote a wonderful, supportive letter expressing many great things about me recently. I read it and was brought to tears. That expression was very important to me.


So, not only tell your children everyday I LOVE YOU but go out of your way to write it down, say it to someone else where they can hear it and let them know you think of them always.


I was out of town this week and went to a ballgame one night. I took a picture of the ballpark and sent it to my kids cell phones. They loved it. Their comments were witty, appreciative and goofy. All the things you'd expect. When I got home last night from the airport it was one of the first things they talked about. Clearly, me thinking of them while out with friends at a game far from home was an expression of love and they appreciated it and knew it. Of course, we talked about it AFTER I had hugged each one and told them I love them.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Al, Just checking out your blog. I'll be looking in regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Expressing your love and affection motivates them to continue doing the same for you. Loving others also allows you to open yourself up to another person and discover your inner capacity for pure unconditional love.

    ReplyDelete