Monday, June 29, 2009

Art, Clay jar or something else altogether...

Ron Philbeck is a talented potter. Click on his name for a link to his blog. He posted a simple question about what a potter should post for his wares. Wow, the last time I looked there were 42 comments! Every student of business, marketing and economics should read this! I had to pipe up with 2 posts. You know me, can't keep quiet about economics/business. By the way, visit his website and his selling site, too. You'll love his work and cherish it for a lifetime.

I read several of the blogs and have purchased pots from a couple of these potters and other potters as well. I found the comments to this blog especially interesting because they made me think, and not just about the economics of selling pots.

I have 2 jars Ron made for me. They sit on my kitchen counter and are used EVERYDAY! One contains salt and one contains pepper. We use them to cook, to season food at the table, prepping food and even when we are enjoying watermelon! (You gotta have salt on watermelon.) These are as much a part of our kitchen as the stove or the sink. I could not cook without them.

I also have a butter dish that Jen Mecca made. We love this but it stays mostly in the fridge. I don't use it for cooking, just for putting on the table. It is a little fancier but when cooking I'm measuring butter and well, it is just not a cooking item. (Sorry about the poor picture Jen!)

My family likes both of these. I like them because they serve a purpose for me AND I am supporting something and someones I think are good people. And I LIKE the pots!

Are they art or just utilitarian objects. I think both. They serve a useful function but we like them, they have meaning to use, we know the people that made them and people comment on them every time they see them! So it sounds like art but we use them regularly to fill a utilitarian need.

I guess this isn't a question that needs an answer or if so it is an answer that is different for everyone. I love the items and I like the people that made them.

No comments:

Post a Comment