Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Layoff...

December 11, 2008 was the day I was laid off. I got the call about 9-ish that morning. I was working at my desk (home office) and got an email from a co-worker that she just got a call and was laid off. Very quickly my phone rang and I got the news, too.

I'd never gone through this and it was a shock. After 2-3 minutes the anger went away and my normal, calculating self went into action. I realized that there would be trying times ahead and I needed some ground rules for me to guide me. I promised myself that I would not panic, I would not worry and I would remain positive throughout the experience. Those 3 things have kept me on track and helped me and my family through the last 6 months.

During this time I've had conversations with companies that wanted me to move for jobs. Canada, California, and the northeast U.S. were all on the table. That was too big a change for the family and I've accepted that. Giving of yourself and your desires for your family is one of the trade-offs you make when you get married and have kids. I don't regret it and in fact it has helped me re-think what I want.

I've done the corporate world thing for 30 years and have loved it and done well. At first I just wanted to get back to it. Now, I'm realizing that I'm not so sure that is where I need/want to be after all. Travel for fun and vacation is one thing but for business it is another. I can do it and it is no big deal but being home is a lot more appealing! I am going to work with a local company doing sales, which was my first love, and if I like it I might buy the company. The owner wants to sell and this might be exactly what I've been looking for!

Talk about a 180 degree change! But not really. I like challenges, I like people and I like working. A dear friend put me onto this idea and is encouraging me to do it. She is the most positive person you can imagine and I know God sent her along to nudge me in a new direction. A lot has to happen for this to work out but it has given me a different excitement than I've had for some time.

I know the pharmaceutical industry very well. I've had the opportunity to do more things than most anyone I know. I love the industry and the people but things change and I change with them.

I truly believe that God sends us places to teach us things. I know he is trying to teach my hard head something. He closed one door but has graciously seems to be opening another. I'm ready for it more than I ever thought I'd be.

No comments:

Post a Comment