Tuesday, June 30, 2009

In-laws...New people in our families to love


Time to talk about in-laws...This came to me because my sister-in-law called me this week just to check in. Now, she is married to my wife's brother so that makes her like a double sister -in-law since two marriages had to happen to make us related.

I like her. I'm pretty picky about people and as we all know very opinionated. But, I like her. She remembers the kids birthdays (and sends presents), calls regularly (not often but regular) and she reads my blog (that alone is reason enough to like her :) ) to keep up with the family. She has been supportive as I figure out what I want to do for work and look for work. She sends me notes on meetings, ideas, etc. She's been there, done that and got the t-shirt. I appreciate her support, calls and notes. You sometimes feel alone in the nether world of the jobless and I like the support she gives. If you ever meet her watch out for her infectious grin. Thanks B!

My brother-in-law, not the one married to the sister-in-law above but the one married to my sister is a good guy. He is not talkative but is steady, a great husband to my sister and has done yeoman duty for my niece and nephew. For a quiet guy he is funny. I've not seen him in several months and need to just get my butt over there to say hello. He is the type of guy to not call but would come if I called. I'm surprised I like him so much since we are so different but I think we revel in the differences and in the ways we are alike. When we are together we give my sister a lot of grief, which is the job of any brother. You da man, N!

My brother-in-law that is married to the sister-in-law above is a good guy. I've never spent much time with him but I like him. An avid golfer he shoots in the low 80's to 70's on a regular basis and can shoot 36 holes in one day when the temp is 95 degrees! That is not stamina but it does begin with an "S". I've known him since he was about 9 and he has grown into a good man. Smart as all day. He can't remember a birthday from spit but he married to shore up that deficiency. OOPS! Sorry B! You thought he married for love.

I think my mother and father in-law deserve a whole 'nother posting. I adore them. They really are wonderful people. They've always been there for us and they'll do anything for the kids. I've watched them to learn how to be a grandparent. More on them later. Likewise, my brother-in-law from my other sister. I need time to discuss that one.

Don't know why I wrote this. Maybe because in-laws are like appendix to a family. Part of it but no one knows what they do and if you take them out it hurts but you can live just fine. I'm not sure I feel that way. I think they ARE family and I'd not be the same without mine, not at all.

When we had a child my wife calmed my fear. I was so worried because I didn't know where the love would come from for a new family member. She explained it was new love for a child. She was right. When the second came along I again was concerned because I loved the first one so much I could not imagine sharing that love with another one. She explained there was no sharing, you just got a whole new set of love. She was so right.

God does that with in-laws, too. We need to open ourselves up to the love God gives us for these special people in our lives. If we don't we are missing something special! I am grateful for my in-laws, all of them. Thank you God for all your gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment