Sunday, July 12, 2009

As I get older...

I am getting old. No way around it but I don't mind. I remember what my Dad said: "I like getting old. Look at the alternative." I think that is healthy. I try to look at the advantages, too. Now, don't get me wrong. There are some things you have to get used to. For example, the joints don't cooperate quite like the did when I was 20. The back is a little more finicky and the eyes and ears are not as sharp as they used to be.

What I do like is the wisdon that comes with age. The knowledge that not everything is critical. Not everything matters like the end of the world. You've been there, done that and usually have the t-shirt if not the scars to prove it.

I find teaching easier, too. I value passing on ideas and sharing that wisdom more. I don't always expect my progeny to do exactly what I try and teach them the first time they hear it. I hope I am planting a seed that will grow and blossom when needed later and will be something that bears fruit for their kids or nieces/nephews and grand kids.

We were working Walnut Creek last night to raise money for band fees. It is fun to work with the other parents and kids. We always have a good time. Last night was kind of slow so we had more time to socialize. AJ, my youngest who is in the band, was working the food. It was fun to teach him the routines we've already learned. His sister took him around, showed him where things were and "showed him the ropes". I love seeing that. AJ, in his quiet way just watched and listened then did it just like he was shown. No big deal. Brittany was at a window last night for the first time. She was a little skittish about selling beer and all the checks we have to do to the license but in no time she was an expert and having some fun. One guy came to her window 8 times! Another gave her a $3 tip because she was nice.

There was leftover pizza last night. AJ found out he could take some home so he loaded himself up with 10 single serve boxes! He loves pizza. There was an empty box on the counter this morning from his "breakfast". Go figure. Me? I just grabbed a sub that was left and split it with Brittany. He was excited and liked the "perk" of working there. During a break his sister took him with her and showed him where to get a hot dog and coke. Those two were something. I like seeing this as I get older.

No comments:

Post a Comment