Thursday, July 30, 2009

Give and take...


I hate canned ham. OK, maybe hate is too strong a word. I eat it and I like the taste of it but I'd never fix if for myself. I'm not sure why. I love ham, especially when I cook them myself or if it is "real" ham. I love ham for sandwiches and we all know that is pretty much sliced canned ham. There is just something about canned ham that does not appeal to me.

My family likes it. My wife thinks it is a neat treat. So, I cook it, er uh actually "prepare" it is a better word since it is already cooked. I've tried spices in the oven, slices in a frying pan, pineapple and cloves in the oven but it is still not a big hit with me.

Today was canned ham day. I try to avoid them but here it was. I got home late and was kinda hoping it would be sandwich night...but nope. It was there, waiting for me, mocking me, making fun of me, daring me to "man up" and fix (yes, fix ... look at the definitions!) it for dinner.

Today, I decided to try something new. I cut it in slices while the ham was on its side. Each slice is the shape of the can. You know, sort of oval-ish. Not too thin, but nice and sorta thick. Then off to the grill. Yes, the grill. I was going to go all out and try and tackle this demon and get this monkey off my back.

It was the best canned ham I've had. But it was still canned ham. We had corn from the freezer (thank you Dorothy for putting this corn up last year) and frozen green beans (they were the bag kind you nuke for 5 minutes). I love frozen veggies. They are always fresher tasting. But it was still canned ham.

I ate my slice, enjoyed the corn and beans and washed it down with my favorite Laura drink. Pineapple juice and pineapple rum over ice. It helped but it was still canned ham.

All is not lost. I can dice up the leftover canned ham tomorrow morning and have a great omelet. Nothing like ham in an omelet with fresh hash browns! Thank God for the canned ham. I am so looking forward to breakfast now!

No comments:

Post a Comment