Saturday, February 27, 2010

Being a man...

In the "old days" there were rites of passage for boys to become men. Today, some are still practiced even though they are now ceremonial. In a world that is complex, technologically advanced and full of so much opportunity for harm, what are the rites of passage into adulthood for a boy to become a man?

Before I go further, I think girls face the same thing. They have their rites of passage, too. I think these have changed over the years, too. Even though I have two daughters I'm no expert on what girls/women think so I'll defer a discussion on that to someone better qualified.

My son is putting tick marks beside the items on the list of things that let you know a boy is a man. He does them regularly and I'm amazed at how well he handles it and how natural they seem to come to him. Learning to drive, asking a girl out, dating, getting your license, car dating and today he took another step. He's been collecting aluminum cans and other metals for several years. He's made hundreds of dollars recycling metal from things just laying around either here or from his grandfather's. The recycling is not the big thing so much as what he did today. I've always gone with him to take the recycling. Today he went with his sister and handled it himself. He did not need Dad tagging along, looking over his shoulder.

He and I went to buy new shoes for him Thursday evening. It was fun and we cut up while running the errand. He is easy to shop with. He finds what he wants, makes a decision and we are done. Well, the shoes had a defect and came a part the first day. Tonight, his sister ran him over there and he returned them himself.

The great thing about this really comes in two parts. He and his sister are close and do things together. I'm glad she's there to help keep an eye on him. It is what family does. The other thing is that he has taken responsibility and wants to do this himself. He's stepping out to do those things that others have done with him or for him in the past.

I'm a little sad while being so proud. He's the youngest of my three and it seems not long ago that he held on to my finger as we went places together. Now, he's off on his own. I already miss him more than I can tell. Yet, he still seeks me out to tell me good night and give me a hug. I'm sure he does that more for me than for him. His whole life I've referred to him as my man-child. He's always been large for his age and with two daughter's it helped distinguish him from them. I'm not so sure I can use that term much longer. He's a man now. He's my son in whom I am well pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment