Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Birds leaving the nests...

Well, it looks like my baby girl is really leaving the nest this time. She headed to Iceland for a month this summer to study abroad. I'm so nervous but so happy for her. She sent off her passport application today. It is getting real very fast.

I don't know why this is so different and maybe it isn't. I'm always nervous when they are away from home but isn't that why we nurture them, teach them right from wrong, how to make decisions and stand up for themselves? I'm proud of my kids and how well they've done and the decisions they've made so far. I'm glad she has the confidence to not just go but to go for all the right reasons. She is an international studies major and this is just part of that plan. She plans to study in Japan for the fall semester if she can work it all out. That is a LONG way from home. I'm already working on my Asian contacts to see who is close by and who I know there. I've got contacts in Singapore that are solid. Now I need to get good contacts in Tokyo!

But, it isn't just my daughter. My son is leaving the nest, too. And although he is 4 years younger in many ways he is leaving faster. He recently got his license and went on his first car date this weekend. I was a nervous wreck. It was no big deal to him. Oh I so remember those days! He'll be much more independent and much sooner. Just the nature of things I guess.

Good thing I have Maddie here now. She'll keep me company...her and her cold nose and wagging tail.

1 comment:

  1. Daddy! You're so silly! No matter where I go in this big ol' world Im always at home with you and mommy. Home is where the heart is, and my heart is where my home is, with you and mommy. Ill never truly leave the nest. You and mom are the pride of my life along with aj, laura, and Dao. You'll NEVER get rid of me!

    ReplyDelete