Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Keep your eyes open!

I like pottery. I don't own much but I do like it. I follow some potters blogs and am always inspired. Hannah McAndrew (http://hannahmcandrew.blogspot.com/) in Scotland is one I follow. Amazing what she can do. I read her blog and while the shipping and exchange rates are hampering my purchases it is the still a joy to read her blog and see her work.

Life is about enjoying things you may not be able to own. I don't covet them or desire them beyond all else but I like them. The simple beauty and complex design and hard work that go into them is impressive and inspiring. I'll own some one day. The anticipation is sweet.

But, there is more to this story than unrequited desire for pots. Hannah will occasionally mention what she has cooked and show pictures. Today she mentioned a Victoria sponge she fixed for her husband (and herself). I found a recipe and am going to fix one. I'll enjoy it with "afternoon tea" tomorrow. It is a simple and easy recipe but sounds awesome.

If we focus on the "things" we want in life, whether we can have them or not, and get so focused we miss other things then we miss out on what life is about. I love her pottery but I like her blog and the life she describes, too. I'd hate to have missed the cake. I think I'm going to share it with my wife. We'll go "English" or "Scottish" for a while in the afternoon, think about a trip to Scotland and plan how many extra bags to take with us so we can bring back some awesome pots!

No comments:

Post a Comment