Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Birt-to-me!

Today is my birthday. This is the 51st anniversary of my birth. Wow, has a lot changed. When I was born Eisenhower was President, the WAR was only about 10 years over and cars were still a luxury in many homes and phones were party lines in a lot of places. People still used out houses and planes were not jets. Interstate highways were still getting started and Sputnik was big news. Men never were in the room with wives during child birth. If you wanted help calculating you used a slide rule (yes, I learned to use one). And contrary to what people think, they were teaching History in school then.

I've been fortunate to see tremendous change. Cars, jets, space travel and landings on the moon and mars, computers, cell phones, GPS devices, internet, and HD television. It is amazing to me what advances we've made. My Dad went through similar changes as he grew older. He was born in 1906 and died in 1990. Horse and buggy to the space shuttle!

My family is downstairs waiting to take me to dinner. They have presents for me (some from Williams-Sonoma!!) and they cooked me breakfast this morning, too. We like birthdays around here. I've gotten hugs from all of them today and big "Happy Birthday" greetings as well. I know I am loved.

I've opened the great presents: new calphalon pans, new mixing bowls, a new paring knife, new cook book, wine, a cool spatula thing, etc. They knew exactly what to get me! We all went out to dinner at Winston's (our family's favorite) and then came home for cake...chocolate with pecans! My favorite. What a great, great, wonderful day. easily one of the best ever.

But today is not my favorite birthday. Don't get me wrong, I love today and its been perfect. But there are three birthdays that were easily better, much better, will always be better. Those were the three birthday's I shared with my wife. They are my favorite. Watching those 3 ugly, slimy, motley, screaming beautiful kids arrive will always be my favorite days. Talk about great birthday presents, they sure are!

I count my presents everyday...the three birthday presents I got are the best ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment