Thursday, November 20, 2008

Tripping down memory lane...

Tonight was father daughter date night. I had dinner with my college girl. I enjoy visiting with her. It is always low key and fun. She wanted to go to T K Tripps which is near where she goes to college. We could have gone any where but she likes things simple.

We talk about all sorts of stuff. Family, events, memories, ideas, news and whatever comes up. She also listens when I want to offer some advice and is willing to discuss it with me. I don't push and she doesn't get defensive. She's willing to listen and we have a pleasant time. She got tickled talking about some of the things we've all done. She said one of her favorites that causes endless amusement was shopping for college last year. She was going to be taking some gym classes so we had to get new shoes, etc. We were in Dick's sporting goods and she needed a sports bra. I think she likes to embarrass me by doing this. She could not find one she liked and had me ask for help. So, here I am asking a FEMALE store employee where to find sports bras! At the moment I was focused on helping her and did not see the humor in it. Now I get a little red when she brings it up. She loves telling that story!

I enjoy the relaxed evenings but tonight was different, too. We've been to T K Tripps before, once last year. This time I shared with her the memories I have of her mother and I eating at the T K Tripps in Greensboro. Going there was a special event for us. We were just out of college, not a lot of money and eating out was not an every day event. It was neat and a fun place to go and hang out for a couple hours and do something different.

Having done that many years ago it was fun to sort of re-live those memories by going there with my daughter. She didn't just listen but eagerly encouraged me to share my memories, which was fun. She likes knowing family history, what her parents and grandparents did. If she's like me it gives her a connection to something bigger, something permanent in a world of change.

It was fun talking with her. I always come away feeling better, recharged and happy. My kids do that to me. Somehow in the many conversations I not only agreed she should go shopping for clothes but that I'd take her! She's sneaky that one is! And she made it seem like my idea. But this time I am not helping with sports bras!

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I had a blast last night at dinner with you! I do indeed hearing stories about past events of our family - its entertaining and comforting at times. It sometimes gives me strength, like I told ya last night -- when I'm in a bind and feeling like I can't make it I just say "If granddaddy did this..." or "If my dad did that...." then I can do anything. haha. -BA- <3

    ReplyDelete