Sunday, November 23, 2008

Old dog and new tricks...

My middle child is so delightful. She's been cooking all weekend! Now, she's not know for liking to cook but has begun cooking a lot. She's very good at it. She reminds me of me in her approach. She plans what she wants to cook, gets organized and buys the items needed and then cooks it.

Last night we had sauteed spinach, mushrooms and asparagus with steak over rice. It was awesome! For dessert she fixed fresh strawberries with whipped cream and a chocolate cookie. What a simple but perfect dessert.

Tonight is stuffed peppers! She's been digging through the myriad of cookbooks we have and is finding recipes she likes. She likes to cook rice and is very good at it. She likes things Asian and I think that influences her cooking, which is fine. We all draw inspiration and influence from things we like and know. She's always been interested in the Asian culture and cooking Asian just reinforces her learning and what she likes.

This morning she cooked breakfast for everyone. Two of us had pancakes (awesome) and my wife had eggs with cheese. When I fix them I put the cheese in near the end. If you put it in at the beginning the cheese melt and then can burn before the eggs cook. My daughter mixes the cheese with the eggs in a bowl before putting them in the pan. This mixing coats the cheese with egg and keeps it from burning as the eggs cook! I never tried this and thought it was cool. An old dog can learn new tricks!

2 comments:

  1. I've always believed that old dogs ca learn new tricks. We're simply selective in the tricks we learn. ;)
    Bon appetit, Al! Your daughter sounds like an up & coming chef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, she is that! I agree, we learn much more selectively as we grow older, but we do learn!

    Love the latest pots you fired! Awesoem colors and thos cave paintings are spectacular. They came out so well. Great work!

    ReplyDelete