Sunday, September 7, 2008

Burnt Bagels

You're gonna have to pay attention to this one. Hope I don't lose you.

In the last post I talked about character. Well, today I was enjoying some quiet time at the house and decided to have a whole grain cereal (with honey and nuts) and a bagel with some European butter (more on the butter thing later). I fixed the cereal and then split the bagel and put the butter on the bagel and put it in the oven on broil.

Now, I know I have a problem with paying attention. Total ADD thing going on with me (gotta love your genes). I should have done the bagel first and then the cereal and maybe the bagel would have been ready and no burning. I've been through this a lot over the years. Can't tell you how many bagels I've burned.

I put the bagel in the oven, took the cereal to the table and started eating it while reading Elaine Spallone's blog (see my list of blogs for a link) and then proceeded to leave her a comment! She caused me to burn my bagels!

Smoke was coming out of the oven. Here are my results. Not very pretty. And not very tasty.

I'm on the second half of the bagel as I write this. Yes, I'm eating it. No, it is not to increase my carbon footprint (get it, burnt bagel is carbon, carbon footprint...). I screwed up and have to learn a lesson. I think that if I eat the burnt bagel it'll teach me a lesson and maybe next time I'll pay more attention. I am thinking about the post from yesterday about character. I am also realizing that I've burned a lot of bagels and eaten a lot of burnt bagels over the years. What does this say about me?
  • I don't learn lessons.
  • I stick to the rules.
  • Starting tomorrow bagels will go in the toaster!
My kids will think I am a few bagels short of a dozen for this. But you know, I hold them to a high standard and I have to follow the rules. (No, I'd not make them eat a burnt bagel...I don't think?) My wife says life is too short to eat burnt bagels.

There is always the possibility I like them that way.

3 comments:

  1. Hey --easy on my blog!! I think it is hard to be in the moment and keep a watch on bagels!! Better to be in the moment of watching bagels toast, instead of multi-tasking!! Hard to do in our day. But is my take on it, and something I work on..moment by moment!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was blame your blog or take responsibility about it myself! Yeah, I need to get into the moment of one thing, focus on it and enjoy it. I live in to rush a world. Good advice. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. Leave it to my dad to blame something on someone else. Hehe! Just joking around.
    I swear dad. You are the only one who can burn bagels that badly and still eat them haha

    ReplyDelete