Sunday, September 14, 2008

Pig Pickin'

Saturday was pig pickin' day at my sister's. My niece is getting married on the 20th and my sister threw a pig pickin' for family, friends, etc. Mostly for the groom and his family but as these things tend to go, there were tons of people there!

She asked me to cook the pig. I have a pig cooker, love to cook and usually do a decent job. I was up at 6, pig was loaded into the car by 7:15, and I was at my sister's by 7:45ish. Pig was on and cooking by 8.

In addition to the pig cooker I took my propane burner and big pot over as well. We cooked 25 lbs of potatoes for potato salad. It was a tub (literally) full. The most I've ever made. I fixed baked beans on the grill, made 4 gallons of tea (3 sweet and 1 for the "great unwashed".) Oh, and we cooked some chicken in case (like we should care) anyone did not want (blasphemy) barbeque! Busy day but these things usually are.

Lots of people I have not seen for a while, got to meet the groom's family from Kansas (no, they don't know Dorothy).

I'll try to get some pictures up soon of the cool cake, pig, and the fixin's. We did all the cooking outside. We used the pig cooker, big burner, grill and burner on the grill. Keeping the cooking outside kept the heat out of the house and given that it was 90+ degrees that was a good thing.

Not sure what my niece thought of the day. Never heard her say anything much. Guess she was nervous or something.

My sister needed me and that was the thing for me. I know she was stressed about the party and about the wedding with so much to do. Helping her out, taking some of the load was what being a brother is all about. It was fun to just do what I could and make it easier for her.

Time to brag on my kids a little. My son had taken the grill, propane tanks (2) over on Friday and set it all up. He got the grill in a totally out of the way place. He also helped unload chairs, tables, etc. He never complains, just does what needs doing and goes on.

My daughter (middle one) helped her aunt cook Friday afternoon, too. She made a coconut cake and did some other stuff. All for family.

After the party, my two daughters worked in my oldest's classroom all night (till 10) to get it ready. They had to move some furniture, put some together, etc. But, they did that late at night so they could be at the party.

Nothing funny or quirky about this post. Wait for the pictures!

4 comments:

  1. Cake? Butterfinger? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I don't remember receiving an invitation. What's my name, SKIP?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not my party!!! It was my sister's or you'd have been on the list. Actually the cake was one of those specialty cakes (Ace of Cakes style) that looked like a cheeseburger. No kidding. It was for the groom since he loves CB's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. isotretinoin 10 mg contains Isotretinoin which has a place with a gathering of prescriptions known as retinoids which are utilized to treat skin issues. Tablet is used to treat severe nodular skin inflammation. It is just utilized in patients whose skin inflammation has not responded to different medicines.

    ReplyDelete