Saturday, September 6, 2008

Character...What you do when no one makes you or is watching

I wrote about Hanna coming through in the previous blog. I talked about the good things she brought. This is about something I saw and how wonderful it was.

When the tree fell (see previous post) it made a big booming sound and shook the ground. All the neighbors went out to see what it was. My kids all jumped up and came out after me. All the neighbors just stood and watched the mess. It was across the road and was blocking the street. We live on a cul-de-sac so it prevented us from getting out.

I went out to the street and started moving the limbs and logs. All three of my kids jumped to help me without asking! None of the neighbors moved a muscle. No complaints. Not a big mess and this is NOT about them. It is about my kids and how they just jumped in to help. No asking, no begging, no forcing. They just did it as if was natural and what you are supposed to do.

Character is sometimes defined as what you do when no one looks. I like to think it is also what you do naturally without thinking. I know my kids are characters and I knew they had character. Today was just another example of them proving it. I love them so much and they make me so proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment