Friday, October 24, 2008

A fair pot...

While at the fair last night I visited the NC Pottery Expo tent. For my potter bloggers here are some pics:




Sorry about the quality. I used the phone on the blackberry! I have about 30 total. If anyone is interested just let me know and I'll send them to you or post on snapfish.
It was interesting seeing the pots all together from different artists. Some amazing stuff. Jen, I didn't see any butter dishes. There is an obvious shortage of those. Can't wait to see yours. Ron, they had some great mugs but not like yours! Elaine, no pots that looked barrel fired either. I did like the bowl with the chop sticks. it has cut outs to hold the sticks on the side. I hope you can see them. Becky, no one was using mugs while making music. I guess they don't have the imagination going.
Why am I interested in pottery? I've always wanted to throw a pot. Just one of those things. I love to learn and have a long list of things I want to do and have tried. Cooking is one of those passions I've grabbed hold of. It is fun. Maybe that is why I like pots so much. They are useful items for cooking and eating. My Dad cooked and actually owned a restaurant. He cooked all the time and it was special to me. He loved seafood, all kinds of seafood. When I cook I think of him and when I cook his recipes, especially for clam chowder, it brings back many memories. I always talk to the kids when I'm cooking and I share those memories and the recipes. I can see them doing the same thing one day, sharing with their kids and talking about my Dad.
My Dad's father was a master carpenter and built some incredible things in New Bern, NC. Dad learned the trade from him but never became a practicing carpenter. He decided other things interested him more. I learned some of the carpentry skills from my Dad and picked up a few of my own. There is something great about working with wood. I love it. The world dissolves away and nothing matters. I've not had the time to get back to it for a while but it still calls. I like the things I've built and we use many of them still. Others are stored away for the grand kids to use, like the half loft bed I built for my son. He loved it until he got just too big for it. Now it is waiting for him to pass down. With memories built in. He'll share why this nick is here and why this nail hole is there and why it is built the way it is. I look forward to setting it up with him one day.
I'm thinking of taking pottery classes. No, I don't intend to change professions but I like using my hands to make things. It is satisfying in a tangible way. Many times I don't have a specific object that I can point to and say: "I built that".
Besides, I need some jars to hold more memories.

2 comments:

  1. Big A, sounds to me like you have made many an object that you can point to and say "I made that." But I think that creative people are never really satisfied and must continually create? If pottery is singing a siren song, I'd urge you to give it a try. Like woodworking, you can lose yourself in it. For me, there's nothing to match the joy of putting my fingers to clay. I suspect woodworking is much the same. Whichever you choose to do, I know you'll delight in the satisfaction of creating.

    (I loved what you said --- "I need some jars to hold more memories." )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, building anything is great and provides a sense of accomplishment. It also provides a legacy. We have many items that our families have built and it gives us a tangible link to the past.

    ReplyDelete