Thursday, October 23, 2008

Under letter G, number 52...

Just got in from the State Fair. It was "can" day, which is our favorite. Take four cans of food for the food bank and you get in free. We always go this day. It is a little thing but we do it because we're helping someone. I mean, we are going anyway so why not go on a day that helps?

The posting earlier today about going got me to really thinking while I was on the way over. Thinking about experiences and how little things you learn can stay with you a life time. I was with my Dad one time when we were visiting with the head of the local Jaycee's. The Jaycee's are a civic organization and put on fairs to raise money for their charitable projects. Dad was meeting with him to discuss business and naturally he took me along. I've always been inquisitive and this day was no different. When I met the man we shook hands and he called me Governor and was exceptionally nice to me. I asked him why he called me Governor. He looked me right in the eye and said..."I don't know who you'll grow up to be. What if I were mean to you and you became President of the US? That wouldn't be smart. We never know who people are, what they've been through or who'll they'll become so we should treat them with respect, honesty and politeness". I've never forgotten that and I was about 8 years old.

A fellow blogger, Becky, has left a couple of posts on my blog. She is a potter and I follow her blog and encourage you to check it out. It is on the list to the right (Claydog). She seems to enjoy my blogs about memories and is always gracious and encouraging. I've not met her but she seems like the kind of person I'd enjoy knowing. She reminds me of this man. She never had to reach out but did and shared her appreciation for some postings. I'm glad she did. I like talking about memories and my life and the lives of my family. I'd gotten away from that with some recent blogs and she helped me see I should go back and do what I like. Thanks Becky!

I don't know where life is going, but if we listen to its lessons as we go along it is surely telling us things. I've missed some I'm sure (we don't know what we don't know) but I've tried to listen and catch them as I've gone along.

More on the fair tomorrow. I have a candy apple to get to. Oh, and YES the ham biscuits and fries were just like they always are...perfect! I didn't win at Bingo but my wife and son did!

2 comments:

  1. BINGO!!! Oh boy do I have memories of that when I was a kid. Back then, we used corn kernels to mark our spaces. And I really had obscene good luck at the game. Maybe that's why I have such an affinity with fairs and carnivals. The first stuffed animal I ever won was at age 6...on some crazy game at the circus. I won a teddy bear and I've been hooked on games of chance ever since.

    Thanks for the kind mention, Al. But most of all THANKS for your memories. If there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, I think it must be our memories. They are precious, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, I agree. I revel in the memories and continue to try and make them. They are the spice of life!

    ReplyDelete