Friday, October 24, 2008

Memories in a cellophane wrapper...

I love candy apples. I've eaten so many that I think of them as a fruit. I don't like the caramel apples, I don't like the ones rolled in nuts. I am a traditionalist. Bright red candy around an apple! I've watched these made so many times in big copper kettles and I've even made them at home.



I love the sticky candy around my mouth as I eat them. Being a Carnie as a kid was special and candy apples were a big part of that. I got them free since I was "with the fair" and knew the people that made them. Usually they'd make me one with a little bit thicker dip of the candy coating. Add to that some salty popcorn and voila! you have the perfect salt/sweet snack!

I know it is tough on the teeth and every visit to my dentist I think of it when he is checking an old filling. But, it was worth it.



If you notice the wrapper, it does not have a lot of red candy stuck to it. That is key. A good apple will not leave a lot of candy. That means the candy was a the right temp when applied to the apple.

Also, the round stick is very important. I guess that is why I don't like the store packages for making at home. A flat stick just does not work!

I've made forts with these sticks and played with them for hours! Ahhhh, the joys of simple things.

Amazing what a little fruit and candy can do for you! Food for the soul.

2 comments:

  1. So here we disagree. I'm a caramel apple gal all the way. (But hold the nuts.) You're right about the stick though. And either way, it's a grand way to get our fruit serving isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Not a caramel gal! My wife is too and I just don't know what it is about caramel apples!

    ReplyDelete